Wednesday 22 October 2008

Books and Links - Now Updated

Below are new titles in our WHHE library and links to some of the websites that were mentioned in the meeting. Please let me know if you have other links, especially for the service opportunities. The side-bar link to the library listings will be updated in a few days.


Books
Le Francais Facile (See the sidebar for links to the website for samples, etc.)
Did Fleming Rescue Churchill?: A Research Puzzle - James Cross Giblin (Thanks for the info I forgot, Sandy)

This Country of Ours - H.E. Marshall
The Travels of Marco Polo
The Story of Mankind - H. Van Loon

Van Gogh and the Sunflowers - Laurence Anholt
Kon-Tiki - Thor Heyerdahl
Kon-Tiki for Young People - Thor Heyerdahl

::

Websites mentioned at the meeting:

Charlotte Mason
ChildLight USA blog post by Carroll Smith about his visit to a CM school.


Service Projects
Knitting Blankets

Blankets4Canada
If you google "donate knitted blankets" you'll probably find others for international donation.

Crocheting sleeping mats from milk bags
An article from 2007 about one aspect of the project
If you google "crochet sleeping mats milk bags" you'll come up with links to lots of articles like this one. Within the articles contact people are often named, so you can follow-up that way. In my very quick search I didn't find a link to a specific organization or specific instructions.
UPDATE - Stratford Parents Online, an email group in my town, just had a posting about this project. If you want a contact number for a pattern and such, let me know.

Read-A-Thon

Follower's Book Corner

2 comments:

  1. The book is called "Did Fleming Rescue Churchill?: A Research Puzzle" by James Cross Giblin.

    By the way, have all of you read Kon Tiki? Laurel and her daughter raved about the book to me at the meeting. I've seen it recommended many times over the years but their enthusiasm convinced me that I needed to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. I'm really having trouble putting it down. It is a truly living Geography book!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.